Main Number: 860-822-8241
Vocation Director: 860-822-8241
Superior General: Mother Marie Julie Saegarert, S.C.M.C.
Vocation Director: Sister M. Jacinta, S.C.M.C.
Vocation Phone: 860-822-8241
The Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of the Church devote themselves to the works of charity wherever there is a need. In a spirit of simplicity they offer their lives, in selfless service, to Jesus through Mary.
The Sisters of Charity were originally formed part of the Institute of the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of Mercy, founded in 1832 in Holland by the late Bishop of Tilburg, Most Reverend John Zwysen. On June 4, 1970, under the leadership of Mother Marie Alma Lafond, the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of the Church was erected as an autonomous religious institute of diocesan right.
It views its mission as a living part of its Founder relived within the framework of the original mission of educating and caring for children, nursing the sick and caring for the aging. Supported by the testimonial letters of the other Diocesan Bishops concerned, the Bishop of Norwich submitted to the Holy See the request that the Institute be recognized as of pontifical right.
Our Most Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, graciously granted, on July 7, 1993, a favorable answer to the request by declaring the Institute of the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of the Church to be a religious institute of Pontifical Right.