Franciscan Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart
Main Number: 914-737-3373
250 South Street
Peekskill, NY 10566
The Franciscan Missionaries of the Sacred Heart were founded in 1861 by the French Duchess, Laura Leroux de Beauffremont and Reverend Gregory Fioravanti, OFM, whose cause for canonization is presently in progress with the Holy See. At the request of the Franciscan Fathers, three sisters came to America to St. Francis of Assisi Parish, New York City in 1865, and the community continues its service in the United States.
Founded mainly for evangelization through caring for the poor, the sisters teach on elementary and high school levels, minister in social work, nursing, prisons, and various other programs in New York and New Jersey.
The sisters’ missionary work takes them to Italy, France, Switzerland, Luxemburg, Cyprus, Turkey, Lebanon, Bulgaria, Albania, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Cameroon, Republic of Central Africa, Congo, India, and the Philippines.
As vowed women, the sisters live the Gospel in the spirit of St. Francis of Assisi drawing inspiration from the compassionate, redemptive love of Jesus for all people. The sisters share in community life of prayer, penance, and apostolic activity.