Missionary Sisters of St. Peter Claver
Main Number: 651-738-9704
265 Century Avenue South
St. Paul, MN 55125
The Institute of the Missionary Sisters of St. Peter Claver was founded in 1894 by Blessed Mary Theresa Ledochowska. She started by dedicating her literary talent to fighting slavery and to protesting against the inhuman treatment of women then prevalent in Africa. Gradually she renounced her brilliant position at the Tuscan Court in order to embrace a life of poverty, self-sacrifice, and complete dedication to the service of the missionary Church. Her new Institute spread to many countries in Europe, to both Americas, Australia, Africa, and Asia. Though small in number, it has at present sisters of twenty-eight nationalities in 47 communities. Houses in the United States are in St. Paul, Minnesota; Chesterfield, Missouri; and Chicago, Illinois.
At the heart of the Institute’s spirituality is Christ the Redeemer, icon of the Father’s love. He is the center and the reason for everything the sisters are called to do and to be. The aim of their specific apostolate is to cooperate wholeheartedly in the building of the Kingdom of God in the world, especially among the poorest and marginalized, by means of continuous prayer, the gift of self, and mission activity.
Postulancy is six months to two years; novitiate, two years; after the period of six years the junior sister may take the religious vows for life.